Monday, January 4, 2010

Reflections of a Young Heart

Today after lunch Fabiola pulled me aside and motioned with her hand for me to lean my ear down to her. When I did she whispered, "Why am I the only one who ever thinks about William?". William is her two year old brother who was allegedly beaten to death on the concrete floor of Alzira, their previous home.

I took her outside and told her I didn't know, but when I asked Mauricio (another brother) if he felt sad when he had to talk about William he just shook his head and said, "no". I told her perhaps she was just closer to William than the others because much of his care fell to her. When she began to cry I told her she didn't need to cry for William because he was in heaven with Jesus & God and right now was probably running, jumping, and laughing with more strength than he'd ever had before. She stood to hug me with tears still in her eyes, but now there was also a smile on her face! It was a smile of recognition that William truly was in good hands now and that he was happy and waiting on her arrival. She would one day be reunited with William.

Then I told her if she could hear William he would probably be looking down on us and telling Fabi not to cry for him...he would say, "Wait until you get here, you are going to love this place!"

I think Fabi's heart and compassion for her deceased brother is a measure of the love Christ has placed within her for those who are less fortunate than she. When you get the opportunity to see her sharing with children who seem to have no hope in their eyes, you see someone who has a love for others that can't be taught...it can only be caught! We believe she is contagious with Jesus, the Holy Spirit, and God!

3 comments:

  1. This post really gave me a chill and a tear in my eye. A truly inspiring blog, my favorite. I check every day to see if there is a new post. It's amazing what you are doing so never give up and keep the post coming.
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. PRAISE GOD!!! I'm glad to see that!!! These blogs constantly remind me that God IS truly working!!! Glory to God!

    Mark 10:14 (NKJV)
    But when Jesus saw it, He was greatly displeased and said to them, “Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of God.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabi is a really sweet and smart young girl. Jesus is definitely moving in her life. You guys are doing such a great job of helping the kids grow in their relationship with the Lord.

    ReplyDelete