Thursday, April 22, 2010

Shocked!

This morning we were given a paper stating that we were required to take Gershon, Karen, & Jesus to a visitation with family members at 2:00 p.m. this day at the IHNFA office. We had never even heard anything about their parents before this and didn't even know if they were living or in the area.

Before leaving for the meeting I told them that Joyce & I wanted them to live with us, but if they decided they wanted to go with family members they had the liberty to do so. On the way to the meeting I had to stop and console Jesus who had started crying and saying he wanted to go back to his house. Once there I was presented with a court order giving the mother the right to this visitation and I asked the IHNFA supervisor if the mother's intention was to take back her children...she told me, "yes!"

After some background info from the supervisor we went into another room to await the visitors. Soon their mother came in and quickly hugged Gershon and the two of them cried in each other's arms. Next Karen came over and hugged her mother with the same reactions and then Jesus. It was apparent that the mother did love them...the way she stroked their hair as she hugged them and the sincerity of the tears, but it was difficult to watch. After some initial reacquainting with the children she began to talk to me and ask about the children. So I inquired as to whether or not she knew God, if she knew Jesus, and if she had Jesus in her heart. She assured me she did and told me she was an evangelical.

Next we moved outside to meet the new step-father and step-brother (2 years old) and give them some room to interact. I forced myself to move away so I wouldn't be a distraction and I watched as a family was reunited. I confess it hurt to watch it, it wasn't what I wanted to see; but I now believe it was what God wanted to see. Joyce reminded me that we serve a God who is interested in reconciliation! And as I watched them, they looked like a family! But it still hurt.

When we got home both Jesus and Karen told the other kids they were going with their mother to live in their own house. I don't think Gershon has said anything but it looked to me like he felt very good about being with his mother. At the close of the meeting I was told there would be another visitation next Thurs. at 2:30 p.m. and that's all I was told. As I called the kids to leave the mother came to me, reaching her hand to mine and said, "thank you". Her sincerity convicted me of my selfishness for the children and I simply replied, "God Bless You."

At this point it looks as if the children will be leaving us if the mother's financial situation is up to requirements. I still worry about what the kids will be like when they realize what they're leaving and what they're going to, but I know if it's God's plan He will override any physical lacks.

Since their departure seems to be a forgone conclusion I am elated that we baptized Karen on Sunday. I'm trying to work on Gershon without pushing him into a decision, but I desperately want him to make it before he leaves. We do know that they will leave, if they leave, with God's word in them and we trust that it will serve them well. Please pray that this time the mother has her act together and the children will reared in love and not turmoil.

No comments:

Post a Comment