Monday, August 8, 2011

Will's Honduras Update 8/8/11

Hola Mi Familia!

Since the last update it has been VERY busy!

July 27 Marilyn, Kierra, and Brandy came down and would join in with the D.C. group 2 days later when the group would arrive. Until the group arrived, Bob and I continued to drill for the "Teen Mission's" camp in Santa Cruz De Yojoa. We learned that we had hit water and were pretty excited. The day prior to the group arriving, Bob and I took the 3 ladies with us and we had planned to place the casing in. We dropped a stone done the well to see if we could hear water and we did! But we quickly learned that we needed to ream the hole back out just to make sure that the casing would go down smoothly and so that we wouldn't clog the hole. We informed the camp that we would return after the team would leave.

The team arrived on the 29th led by Michael and Emily Gaitonde (Two individuals that have known the kids from the very beginning). Just like the Tullahoma team, these guys were a complete blast! The original plan was to build a house but that fell through a week before the team arrived so we had to quickly find things for them to do. God provided! Through another missionary we learned of a Pastor in one of the bordo's and when we visited her she showed us where the team could perform VBS and play soccer with the kids of the bordo. Good Seed (a STRONG Christian bilingual school that some of the kids attend) need help renovating. By time the team was here there were a ton of things they could do. I think Bob best summed up all the thinks that we did that week in this paragraph:

"Throughout the week we played in the waterfall, zip-lined across it, planted, weeded, pruned, potted, bagged, built fence, painted, poured footers, mixed cement, moved mountains of sand, held numerous VBS-type bible lessons, played games with desperate children, handed out many suitcases full of clothes and shoes, hygiene packs, school supplies, etc., helped some to make commitments to the Lord, supplied roofing, cement, blocks to build a church, visited an orphanage beyond description, had wonderful early morning bible studies, and made mountains of new friends! There was no idle time; it was all spent in serving the Lord and in meeting new brothers and sisters in the Lord."

When Bob said there was no "idle time", he wasn't joking. We were constantly on the move! AND IT WAS GREAT! (Especially the driving) :D big grin

I'll cover the week through other updates throughout the week.

Currently:

Bob and I returned to the drill site today and guess what we did? Definitely not drilling. Turns out we ended up using 2 1/2 bags of bentonite trying to seal up the pits and the hole all day! We will let it sit overnight and will return in the morning hoping that we can ream out the hole and place the casing in tomorrow. Other than that...the only excitement that I had today was that I had to bear being bombarded by mosquitoes and unknowingly standing in a fire ant's nest until I suddenly learned that I had a party going on in my pants (DON'T WORRY....THE PANTS STAYED ON).

Saturday I was "Hondurased" for the first time out on my own. I had three tasks (Simple tasks): 1) Have a tire on the truck repaired or replaced, 2) Find a hitch to replace the one that was stolen while I was with the team in a bordo (Explain that later), and 3) Find some chemicals for the family pool. Should taken an hour or two right? WRONG, Took me from 8 in the morning to 2 in the afternoon! I went to Indufesa ti see if they had a hitch and they did not. I then decided to go grab the chemicals. Obtained those with out a problem. It was 9:20. I was on FIRE! Then it happened....the "Hondurassment" comenced!!!

I went to one shop to have the tire looked at. They told me they were too busy. I was then told to go to the large tire shop down the street. I immediately went there. I was there for almost 5 HOURS!!! On the brightside, while I was there I found a hitch! Booyah! Unfortunately, by 1:45 P.M., that was all that I had. I learned that I needed to grab a new tire. I gave them the size of the tire, they told me they had the size, and after trying 4 different tire sizes (haha.) I asked them If I could just have the old one placed back on so I could try another shop. Luckily I found one that had the right size tires! Unfortunately, THEY WERE CLOSED!!! No problem, I then went to the first place I visited, obtained some service, then quikly learned that they did not have those tire sizes there. After that I went home.

So...question: If you were to ask me what I did all day what would be my answer? "Bought two chemicals and a hitch".

WELCOME TO HONDURAS WILL BLACKWELL!!!

Gracias por leyendo mi mensajes, y tu oraciones mi familia en Jesus Cristo!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment