Saturday, August 13, 2011

Will's Honduras Update 8/13/11

Buenas!

These past few weeks have been so busy and I can't really afford to cover every day like I did with the Tullahoma team. So I will just share with you guys my own personal highlights of the week I had with the D.C. team:

1. On one of the workdays 4 men by the names of Steve, John, Papa Gai, Aaron along with myself all built a 100+ yard fence and it was awesome. God blessed us with an awesome view of the mountains in the background so every now and then I would find myself looking out just thinking of how rare a view I had and of how awesome God is. We worked very hard and we had A LOT of fun together. We all laughed at jokes, talked about the bible, God, and alot of other things. It was amazing to see how much work we had done considering how much laughter you would have heard.

2. The group and their V.B.S.'s: It was neat to see how much passion this group had for VBS. Every place we went they held a VBS either in a bordo or in a nearby village. They would have small lessons, games, and would take the kids out to play soccer in fields that may have been nearby. It was pretty cool to see the "gringos" interact with the Honduran children.

3. God had laid it on the hearts of the team members to purchase materials for a church within one of the large bordos. The materials were all meant to build a better church that would not leak and would be a much more solid facility. It was great to see how sensitive the group was to the urgings that God placed on their hearts.

4. One day we took the team to a village up in the mountains named "Maranatha" that had no electricity and while there I translated for Papa Gai and I lead my first person to Christ in Spanish. It was awesome! My spanish was PERFECT! Grammar, vocabulary...ALL OF IT!!! My spanish is decent enough to converse in but I am nowhere near fluent so I could definitely see where God was giving me the words to speak.

5. The second day of work we split the team in two and I took one half to a bordo that I visited with the Tullahoma team and there are two things that stand out to me.

First, A girl in the group named Taylor asked me to go back to the truck with her because she wanted to cloth a naked child. I complied and I had no clue that this was going to be another humbling moment that God would give me. We had to walk quite a way back to the truck so we brought him with us. I asked him what his name was and he replied "booty". I felt weird calling him that in front of everybody so I asked him if I could call him "buddy" (which is how you would pronounce his name in English) and he agreed. We arrived to the truck and Taylor suggested we clean his feet. We grabbed some bottles of water and a towel and I started to wash. His feet were covered in dirt and poop. While I was cleaning I joked with him and told him why we were there. Through all of this, all I could think of was Christ washing the disciples' feet.

Secondly, the team wanted to hand out hygiene packs, clothing, and shoes to the people of the bordo. Things started out well but quickly it started to get out of hand. The mother's started to incite a frenzy and before we knew it we were beginning to get swarmed. Eventually, we had to pack up and leave and that is when it got really interesting. Some of the team was in the back of the truck and the rest were inside with me. I had to back all the way out of the bordo because there was no way to turn around. As I was backing out, I saw some of the mother's yelling at me because we were leaving and they didn't get as much stuff as they wanted. There were people trying to climb into the back of the truck with the team so they could take what they could get their hands on (I later found out that some of the team members were being slapped or hit on the arms and being spit upon as we were leaving). It was literally like a riot scene you would see in a movie! As I neared the exit and turned to leave, someone threw a rock at the truck and after that we were out. I later learned that someone also stole the hitch from the truck! I was disappointed to see the people of that bordo acting the way they did, but I will not let that deter me from ever going back. God has placed that bordo in my heart and I want to return as much as I possibly can.

6. THE DRIVING! I love driving and I got to perform alot of it that week!

7. I enjoyed having Marilyn down. The Richard and Marilyn Parker has been two of the few individuals that God has used to shape my walk with Christ and it was hard to see her go. I really did not want her to leave. Hopefully Richard will come down sometime too!

Current Update:

Bob and I finished the well at Teen Missions and it was awesome to see how the people there reacted when they saw the water shoot out of the hole. When it came out they all clapped and cheered. After all the cheering and clapping all you could hear was "Gracias a Dios!!". It was amazing to see people so excited over potable water....something that we all take for granted back home. We dropped the compressor and drill rig off at the required shops for maintenance and after all of that is taken care of we have 2 wells to work on in Tela.

Fabiola's birthday is Monday and she will be 14.

Sorry for another long one guys!

Thank you all for your prayers!

Your brother,

Will.

No comments:

Post a Comment