Saturday, November 27, 2010

It only took a month...




It only took one month to be in an accident with our new car. Fortunately it wasn't my fault and fortunately we have insurance. I was traveling down Avenida Junior yesterday at a leisurely pace when an independent bread delivery man decided he was late and had to get his bread delivered now!

He was parked on the right side of the road (a boulevard, a street with a tree lined median) and I was in the left lane heading the same direction as he was parked. Immediately in front of me was a break in the boulevard where you could make a u turn and he was about to do just that. He pulled out from his parking space and went directly left across two lanes of traffic trying to reach the u turn area, leaving me no where to go. I blew the horn, hit the brakes, but didn't quite make a complete stop before hitting him in the driver's door. Fortunately I was going slow enough that there was minimal damage, but it is a real pain.

First I had to wait 1-1/2 hours for the insurance guy and the Transit Police to show up and write their reports and now I have to go to court Monday morning for a hearing on the accident. In the interim they take both of our licenses. I'm told that I will likely have to go to court at least two times to get my license back and in spite of the fact that the accident was totally his fault I will likely have to pay the deductible on my insurance since he doesn't have insurance! Not to mention we will be without the car for at least a week, and I'd be surprised if we got it back that quickly. In addition, since the car is new I will have to take it back to the dealer for repair in order to keep the warranty in tact which means more delays and more money. Sitting in court all day Monday was not what I had planned....

No comments:

Post a Comment