Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Dangerous start to the morning...

Joyce was overdue from taking the kids to school when I received a call from her telling me she was stuck in the middle of a manifestation and they wouldn't let her through. She told me if one large rock was moved she could get through. So, I jumped in the truck and headed up to where she was to find her surrounded by hundreds of yelling and screaming Hondurans who had blocked the major artery into and out of the city on the North side.

I parked the truck off the road and pushed my way through the crowd to where Joyce was sitting in the car. In front of the car were several large rocks prohibiting her from going around the blockade of cars and even larger rocks. I grabbed the rocks and threw them off to the side and motioned for Joyce to move forward....she made a few feet before a guy ran around me and threw the largest of the rocks back into her path blocking her from further movement. He was yelling and swearing at me as I bent over and again, removed the rock. Now two other guys came pushing me and throwing the rocks back into her path. As they closed in I pushed back to give myself some room and not permit them to completely overrun me. The longer I was in the confrontation the more men came to harass me and it became apparent I would not be able to get the car out of there. So, I went to Joyce and got her out of the car and forced our way through the mob before they could get the courage, or the stupidity to do something more dangerous or harmful to us.

We got back to the truck and watched for an hour as they continued screaming and blocking all traffic in both directions. Finally the police showed up and they began to disperse; at least enough for us to get the car out of there. We're back home now, but haven't been able to get the vehicles to our house yet. It will take a while for the traffic to clear out before we can drive into Campisa.

Honduras is definitely different...............

No comments:

Post a Comment