Saturday, March 6, 2010

Don Bob!

This morning I had to go to a "reunion" (meeting) at the new school for six of our children. I would liken the meeting to something akin to our PTA ...there were 20 women and three men. I took Mauricio with me to help translate when they began to speak to quickly for me, but he got bored and headed to the playground leaving me to fend for myself.

In his absence I found myself being "elected" to the position of "Vocal" for the 2nd Grade. At one point in the preceding we had to stand, give our name, and tell which grades we had children in. After hearing that I had two in first grade, one in second, and three in fifth the ladies gave me an ovation...I didn't understand that it was a precursor for "drafting" me. Shortly thereafter they were asking for something for 2nd grade...I really had no idea what they wanted, I hadn't heard the term before so I just sat there. It was then that a heavy set woman to my right elbowed me in the ribs and motioned for me to raise my hand. I shook my head no indicating I was declining the opportunity. Not to be put off she elbowed me a bit harder and with more emphasis indicated I should raise my hand. Not wanting the next level of elbow in my ribs I raised my hand only to hear the principle say, "Thank you, Don Bob". They said, "Don Bob is our new vocal for 2nd Grade! "Don" is the title they give you to make you think you're important when you've just be railroaded!

So, please pay your proper respects and refer to me in the future as Don Bob!

No comments:

Post a Comment